- Full Name: Elective: Telepsychiatry Child and Youth
- Level of Training: PGY1-5
- Duration: 3-6 months, part-time
- Location: Royal Columbian Hospital
- Supervisor: Dr. Attar Khan
- CanMEDS Roles: Medical expert, communicator, collaborator, manager, health advocate, professional
Objectives: By the end of the rotation, a resident will:
- Be competent and comfortable to interview and assess of children, adolescents, parents, and families through telepsychiatry.
- Acquire a sound understanding of childhood psychopathology, including the contribution of genetic and family factors, parenting issues as well as other relevant factors that in combination may be responsible for initiating and maintaining the psychopathology.
- Acquire the ability to do a realistic formulation of cases assessed using the bio-psychosocial model.
- Be able to develop a systematic and rational treatment plan based on the formulation.
- Acquire basic skills in delivering certain treatment modalities in child and family management such as family therapy, individual psychotherapy, group therapy, emergency and crisis intervention, and psychopharmacology.
- Demonstrate competency in effective verbal communication and in writing assessment findings and recommendations to other professionals.
- Experience an interdisciplinary team approach to management and develop skills to work with interdisciplinary teams in a clinical setting including liaison with other professionals, community agencies and schools.